Thursday, October 30, 2008

Working on Success

Last week we were greeted by a guest speaker, Eugene Lee, the CEO of Socialtext. He talked about his experiences in the workplace and personally. I thought that his talk was very interesting as he is a wonderful speaker. His down to earth manner really took me back as it is not what I pictured as I typical CEO. He touched on a few things of importance which mainly was about the thinking process. He left his prior jobs because he wanted to do something meaningful which in part makes him happy. I think this is a valuable lesson although how realistic is it for everyone to follow this guidline? I think that everyone does in their own way.

I had a chance to listen to Ethan's podcast. If you haven't listened to it, I highly recommend it. The phrase that really stuck in my head was "Embrace your amatureness." This was a quote from the Symphony chapter in A Whole New Mind. We will be exploring this with our group project so I won't go into it here.

The 5 frame stories so far have all been wonderful. We were asked to nominate one for our favorite. It's been hard as earch one has it's certain sparkle. Everyone is so creative. The right brian is truely being worked out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the podcast hat tip!

I agree with your comment about Eugene's personality as not one I'd generally associate with a CEO. The way he spoke about his company and the underlying technology showed his passion. He's either a great speaker or truly loves what he does. I think he believes in the product and enjoys spreading the Socialtext gospel.

See you at class.

Cheers,

Ethan
http://itec830.stablestate.com/